Personal injury lawyer Memphis, TN
If you’ve been injured and believe you may have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit, surely you have a lot of questions for a personal injury lawyer Memphis, TN trust. What can be a scary time, can be made a little easier if you know what to expect. We’ve all heard stories of people who received huge settlements for their injuries, but it’s not instantaneous.
Our law firm has many years of experience in fighting for a fair settlement for our clients. We have found that our clients are happier and more able to focus on their own recovery when they understand the elements of a personal injury lawsuit and have a good idea of what to expect and the complexities involved in such a case. We have compiled a detailed outline of the most important steps in a personal injury case so that you understand what is coming and can feel secure in the process.
There are up to eight major steps in a personal injury lawsuit, sometimes less, if the parties are able to come to a settlement earlier in the negotiation process, and before a trial and/or appeal.
Steps In A Personal Injury Case:
- Step 1: Consultation With An Attorney. It is crucial that you find a competent, experienced, local personal injury lawyer in Memphis, TN to represent your rights and fight for you to get the best settlement. Never talk to the other parties insurance company or make any statements, without the presence of your attorney.
- Step 2: Investigation Of Your Case. Your law firm, with a personal injury lawyer in Memphis, TN, will examine the circumstances of your injury, gather evidence, interview potential witnesses, etc. Most firms have investigators on staff who are experienced in gathering the most relevant and comprehensive information
- Step 3: Demand Package. Once the investigation is completed, your lawyer will send a demand letter/package to the other party and/or their insurance company. Assuming they just don’t agree to your demand, your case will move to the next step.
- Step 4: Filing A Personal Injury Lawsuit. Your law firm will be responsible for all the paperwork and processes needed to file your case in court.
- Step 5: Discovery Phase. Once your case is filed, both the plaintiff (you) and the defendant have the opportunity to request information from the other side, so that both parties can review all the evidence. This is when witness statements and depositions are typically taken.
- Step 6: Mediation. In most cases, both parties want to avoid an expensive trial and will try to come to a mutually acceptable agreement. This is often the lengthiest part of a personal injury case, unless it moves onto the trial phase.
- Step 7: Trial. If all attempts at out of court settlement fail, your personal injury lawyer in Memphis, TN will file a trial motion and schedule the case to be heard in front of a judge and jury. Both the plaintiff and defendant will have the chance to present their testimony, question witnesses, medical professionals, etc.
- Step 8: Appeal. If you are unhappy with the outcome of your trial, you can always appeal the court’s decision.
No matter what kind of personal injury case you have, the steps are very similar for a personal injury lawyer in Memphis, TN. Sometimes it can take years from the time of injury to the agreement to a settlement. And other times, cases resolve quickly.
Please call Patterson Bray today for a free evaluation of your case. Our personal injury lawyer Memphis, TN relies on possesses the depth of experience you need to receive the help and support you can count on throughout the lawsuit process.