Questions to Ask Your Doctor After a Car Crash?

Personal Injury Lawyer Memphis, TN

If you have been injured in a car accident, you may be unsure of what steps you should take. After all, the whole experience can be stressful and overwhelming, even if you don’t think you have been seriously injured. However, no matter how mild the crash may have seemed, it is important to get to a doctor right away to make sure you do not have any serious injuries that are not showing any symptoms, such as a concussion, internal injuries, or back injuries. Not only will this protect your health but will also protect any car accident claim you may need to file against the other driver.

As a personal injury lawyer Memphis, TN offers who has extensive legal experience, they know there are some questions that victims of crashes should ask their doctors in order to not only recover the way they need to, but also protect your rights. These questions should include the following:

How Bad Are the Injuries?

As mentioned above, it is not uncommon for car accident victims to not realize their injuries are more severe than they think. Make sure to have your doctor document fully his or her diagnosis, along with just how extensive your injuries are. This documentation will be used in your car accident claim.

How Long Will Recovery Take?

While everyone has a different rate of recovery, your doctor should give you some indication on how long it will take you to heal, whether that time is a few days or a few weeks. With more severe injuries, that recover time may be months or even longer. You want to be sure your doctor documents how long they think it will take for your injuries to heal and what types of medical treatments and care you will need while this recover takes place.

Should You Continue to Work While You Are Recovering?

It is often necessary for a car accident victim to need to take some time from work while they are recovering from their injuries. If this is your doctor’s recommendation, make sure they put this information in writing. You will not only need it for your employer, but you will also need it for any car accident claim in order to show that you had loss of income due to being unable to work while recovering. Lost wages and benefits are recoverable damages in a car accident claim.

Do I Need to See a Specialist?

Although you may have complete faith in your doctor, there are many different types of injuries that may require the expertise of a specialist. For example, if you suffered a head injury in the crash, your doctor may want you to see a neurologist. If you suffered any fractured bones and will need surgery, your doctor may want you to see an orthopedic surgeon. You may also need physical or occupational therapy during your recovery time.

Whatever type of referrals your doctor makes, all of these must be in writing in order to have solid evidence to discourage the at-fault party’s insurance company from trying to deny your claim.

Contact Patterson Bray for their insight into personal injury claims and questions to ask your doctor after a car accident.

No Comments

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

Patterson Bray Logo